FSSAI acts as the essential platform that holds the responsibility to supervise and maintain the safety regulations that are followed in the food industry across the nation. Every food producing company must make sure that the FSSAI Food License is obtained much in advance before starting the business, otherwise the same might lead to very heavy payment of penalties. Many from the food industry are always under the vast confusion on the type of FSSAI Food License that they are eligible for within the range of licenses available. Here is a detailed brief on the different types of FSSAI Food Licenses along with their eligibilities and also the fees structures for the same. The license is mandatory and they are categorised into three types. They are,
- FSSAI Basic License – A food company having an annual turnover of less than 12 lakhs is registered under the Basic license with a Form A
- FSSAI State License – Company showcasing an annual turnover of 12 lakhs to 20 crores, falls under the State License category and is required to fill Form B
- FSSAI Central License – Food company highlighting an annual turnover more than 20 crores, is entitled to apply for a Central License by filling Form B as well.
Based on the company’s annual income, every food producer is expected to apply for the license accordingly. Every State License is required to be applied and issued by the respective state where the business is operational.
Issuing FSSAI Food License Depending on the Size of Business
- Hotels, Food Manufactures, Restaurants, etc are considered medium size food business and are eligible for a FSSAI State License
- Food companies with a major turnover falls under the Large size food business making them eligible for a FSSAI Central License
Every type of food business owners are required to mandatorily apply and get a FSSAI Food License, so as to have a seamlessly run business, with no penalties and other legal charges to face. Food business related law has become very strict and shows no compromises on Food Safety and regulatory measures that need to be taken by the company to lead a successful business. Food businesses running on franchise basis will be required to acquire separate FSSAI Food License for each franchise depending on the company’s turnover.
Fees Structure for FSSAI Food Licenses
FSSAI Basic License Fees Structure
- For a brand new registration certificate, Rs. 100 is charged per year as license fee
- For a Renewal and also to obtain a duplicate of the Basic Certificate, 10% of the license fee application is applicable.
- Online transferring of the amount is accepted and also to note that this amount is not refundable at any cost.
FSSAI State License Fees Structure
- Milk Production Units have the below stated License fees structure
- 1MT in a day costs Rs. 5000
- Upto 50000 LPD of Milk or 501 to 2500 MT of Solid Milk production in a year costs Rs. 5000
- 501 – 10000 LPD of Milk or 2.5 – 500 MT of Solid Milk Production annually costs Rs. 3000
- For smaller outputs below 1MT costs Rs. 3000
- The fees chargeable for a 4-star hotel is Rs. 5000
- Various other food services such as canteen, food vendors, caterers, etc has a license fees of Rs. 2000.
- Every renewal of the FSSAI Food License solely depends on the selected number of years.
- For every modification required in the license and also duplication, 10% of the license application fees is charged.
FSSAI Central License Fees Structure
- Every New application, Modification and Renewal of FSSAI Food License received under the Central License basis is chargeable at a cost of Rs. 7500.
- To receive a duplicate copy of the central license charges levied is 10% of the License application fee.
Use of FSSAI Food License to the Industry
Achieving a FSSAI Food License entitles a food company or a food business to have an identity that is legally eligible. Every person buying products always showcases great concern towards the safety of the food, quality and standards. Once the certificate is attained, the company will not be required to have surprise inspections and unnecessary penalties. The FSSAI mark on every product helps set a high standard between their competitors in the market and renders a good growth and success to the business.