The Best Guide for Civil Partnerships in the UK

A civil partnership is commonly known as the civil union between 2 individuals. It is a lawfully acknowledged partnership where partners of the same sex or the opposite sex register themselves under UK law.

You can also initiate a British citizenship application once you have liked for a minimum of 3 years in a civil partnership.

Can same-sex couples get into civil partnership?

Civil partnership for homosexual couples came into force in 2004 as the ‘Civil Partnership Act’ granting them partnership binding status lawfully.

The bill was passed by Parliament on 15 March 2019.

Couples must sign a ‘civil partnership document’ with two witnesses and a registrar who will legally handle documents.

Changes if you are outside the UK

If the couples are from outside the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and the partner is a British citizen, settled in the UK, with limited leave, they can apply for a family visa as a prospective civil partner to make you eligible to come to the UK to form a civil partnership in the UK. If granted, you will be granted a 6-month visa that allows you to come to the UK and enter into the civil partnership.

Civil Partnerships in the UK

Your eligibility

Civil partnership eligibility before applying for it.

  1. Minimum age of 16 years
  2. If you are above 16 but below 18 years of age. You must have your parents’ consent.
  3. If you are above 18 years, you are legally eligible to enter into a civil partnership.
  4. Neither of you is already either a civil partner or have been married
  5. You have lived in the same area in England or Wales for at least seven days
  6. If both couples are linked by  blood relations, you cannot register.
  7. Scotland citizens are exempted from taking parents’ consent

Registering a civil partnership

Registering a civil partnership can be done in 3 steps:

Planning a ceremony: You must decide where to have your marriage or civil partnership ceremony before ‘giving notice’. Giving a notice should include details of the final venue for your ceremony. Ceremony must be held within 12 months of ‘giving notice’.

Giving a notice:  You must give notice at least 29 days before your ceremony. Once the ceremony’s planning is done, the next step is to notify about the civil partnership to happen. For which legal documents need to be signed at a local register office stating your civil partnership or marriage intention.

Where should you give notice

You must book an appointment for giving notice at a local register office. You must have lived in that registration district for the past 7 days.

If the partners belong to different districts, then they should separately give notice.

The cost of registering a civil partnership

The cost of registering for a civil partnership will depend on the situation at the time of registering.

  1. Both couples must pay £35 each for registration.
  2. The fee is £47 per person if the partners are from outside the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and both of the following apply:
    1. you must need a visa to stay in the UK
    2. you do not have a Marriage or Civil Partnership Visitor visa or a family visa

Take expert advice

You must also seek advice from the best immigration lawyers in London, to have your case represented hassle free. A Y & J Solicitors have experience of over 10 years as industry experts in a civil partnership and other immigration needs.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *